Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Missouri Botanical Garden

The Missouri Botanical Gardens is a great place to go in the spring or summer for an outside the box experience. This is a great place to go if you have neve been to an outside garden exhibit , and you are into this sort of thing. The garden was founded in 1859, and is the nation's oldest botanical garden in continuous operation in the country and a National Historic Landmark.

One of my most memorable experiences is going to the gardens with my Girl Scout troop when I was 9 and going into the butterfly house. At one point I think I had like 10 butterflies on me at once, you would think it would be scary but my mom tells the story and apperently I couldnt stop laughing.

The Garden is a center for botanical research and science education, as well as an oasis in the city of St. Louis. The Garden offers 79 acres of beautiful horticultural display, including a 14-acre Japanese strolling garden, Henry Shaw's original 1850 estate home, and one of the world's largest collections of rare and endangered orchids.

 

1 comment:

  1. That looks gorgeous! I may have to stop by there on my next visit to St. Louis!

    ReplyDelete